Tuesday, March 1, 2011

OWH S&S Sketch Challenge #58 -- CAS Cards

First, let me start off by telling you about my new discovery...I make CAS cards.  I'm still new to card making and blogging, so I have been learning the lingo as I go.  I have also been a bit bothered that my cards are so simple and everyone else's are no where close to simple.  I know I am no where close to having the experience or talent to make those beautiful extravagant cards.  My style is very simple...background paper, a focal point, a sentiment (or not), and that's about it.  Maybe, I'll throw in a bow or a button now and then, but for the most part...I'm simple.  A while back, I made a card and got several comments about how it was a "CAS card" and it was "cute", and how "I love CAS cards."  Of course, I had to Google CAS Cards and I found this definition. 

CAS in the simplest of terms means Clean and Simple.

What is considered a clean and simple card? The answer to this question varies greatly depending on who you ask! So for our purposes, here are some Guidelines for creating CAS cards:

Clean: uncluttered, lots of white or open space
Simple: clear focal point with little distractions
Reproducible: can be quickly and easily mass produced

That sounds like me.  Mrs. CAS Card maker. Of course, I'm going to try and advance myself and learn new techniques, but there is actually a name for my simple style.  I know I'm being silly about this and going on and on, but it gives me comfort that my style has a name.  And who knows, I may be in left field. 

Now for the OWH Stars & Stamps Sketch Challenge.  Here is the sketch for this week, and following are the three cards I made based on this sketch. 



I liked the background paper so much, I kept making cards.  I used sketch # 1, 2 and 3 from OWH.

(above) Digi Stamp from Stamp Fairy
Thanks for looking at my CAS cards, :0)
Laura

note on the stuff I used for cards:  All CTMH, from the CS to the stamps to the ribbon... all CTMH.  Can you tell I used to be a CTMH consultant.  hee hee.

3 comments:

  1. CAS is good. Many of my card were CAS also and then when I entered the blogging world I decided to branch out. My heart still goes with clean and simple though. I just love these cards you've displayed here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable cards, Laura! I am also a big fan of the CAS style! Thanks for joining us in this week's OWH Stars & Stamps Sketch Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first card with the repeated bunny image is so adorable! I may have to CASE that one for all the Easter cards I have to make for grandkids (and others) this year. I love CAS designs (although I sometimes add flat ribbon or lace like on your second card), and I love every one of the cards you have shown here. CAS works really well for OWH because they don't cost extra postage for weight or thickness. Way to go!! I've also just become a follower!

    ReplyDelete